Thursday, November 30, 2006

What Darkness is This?

She despised the dark. In it lay mysteries and fear--gloomy seas and heartache. It was in the darkness she lost her father. It was in the darkness her lover left. Neither had said goodbye. Her father fell away. Her lover simply disappeared. It was a temporary blindness. It made her breathing difficult. Yet, there was a certain comfort in it.

"When did you first become aware of your fear of the dark?"
"I was very small."
"What happened?"
"My mother turned out the light, said goodnight and walked out of the room."
"And how did you feel?"
"Afraid."
" ... "
"But not quite terrified."
" ... "
" ... "
"And so when was your most recent encounter with the dark?"
"Last night."
"Ah? Yes?"
"Yes. I turned out the light."
"That's funny."
"I know. But it wasn't intended to be funny."
"I know... . I'm going to turn out the light now."
"I wish you would."

No comments: