Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The Art of Jaywalking, Part 1


It occurs to me that crossing a street, as fraught with peril and danger as it is, may be considered an art form. I live in a busy city. I've seen many people dodge six lanes of rapid traffic. I've seen pedestrians flub the easiest of jaywalks (one car 30 feet away and they somehow manage to wrangle with the driver over the right-of-way). This is an area where I believe people could use some instruction. Especially those who may live in small towns and come to New York, Chicago or any other major city for the first time. There are simple sets of rules to follow. The first is, be confident. Stride with full confidence across the street. Secondly, be careful. Jaywalking takes precise timing as well as caution. Third (and this may seem to contradict number two) you are not a deer. Don't freeze or hesitate. Be assertive. You have a right to cross the street. Even illegally.

No comments: