Wednesday, September 20, 2006

A Lesson in Patience (and Humility)

I was shopping for some wine while my wife and two sons waited in the car. I found two bottles that would service nicely but wasn't sure which one I should get. So I looked for the clerk, who was ostensibly an expert in these matters. A woman in front of me was buying a bottle of champagne. She had what seemed like an endless stream of questions. And she was, in my opinion, monopolizing the clerk's time. And therefore, she was intruding on my time. After a while it seemed as if her questions just simply turned to chit-chat. Well dressed, she was obviously affluent and, it would seem, in love with the sound of her own voice. My patience began to drain. I stood there with two bottles of $7 wine while she purred and blathered about her $100 bottle of champagne. Then, just as I thought it would end, she asked to have it gift wrapped. I felt a good, loud scream coming on. As the clerk wrapped the bottle, she said to him, "It's for my sister. We're celebrating her very last chemotherapy treatment."

I felt every fiber in my skin go lax. Then I took a deep breath and sighed.

No comments: