Wednesday, September 20, 2006

The Art of Jaywalking, Part 2

I just did a Google search and turned up about 45 results for "The Art of Jaywalking." I don't know whether I'm disheartened or encouraged. Apparently, the term "Jay Walk" dates back to 1884. According to idiomsite.com, it means "an annoying or stupid person. Later evolved to mean crossing in the middle of the street because anyone who walked into traffic was not considered too smart." That gave me some pause as well. I'm not sure everyone who jaywalks is an idiot. Impatient, perhaps. Yes, there are all kinds of stupid. And yes, crossing the street at the risk of being smacked by a one ton vehicle traveling in excess of 35 miles per hour may certainly be considered stupid. But so is having unprotected sex with a stranger. And apparently there are lots of folks doing that too. But I'm doing that thing again. You know -- where I compare apples to oranges? (See "Elvis is King"). So I'll stop there. But before I do, I want to make one more point about the idiomsite.com definition. The unabridged Oxford English dictionary makes no reference to the term "jay walk." Just makes me wonder exactly where they got their information. (Yes, I know there are all sorts of dictionaries. Still.)


No comments: