Tuesday, October 17, 2006

You Kids and Your So-Called Martinis


Call me old fashioned (and I do enjoy one of those whiskey-based drinks occasionally). And, yes, this has been written about numerous times. But not by me. So I feel I must vent. And vent I shall. Please, for the love of Pete, stop calling anything in a cocktail glass (it's not a Martini glass) a "Martini." A classic Martini is Gin and Vermouth. It is served in a cocktail glass straight up with an olive or a twist of lemon. (If you use a cocktail onion, it's called a Gibson). It can also be served on the rocks. This Martini craze -- which I am relieved to say has finally crested -- was out of control for a while. Martinis do not contain chocolate, strawberry, raspberry or banana liqueur. Nor should you get Vodka when you order a classic Martini. It's getting so bad, one now has to specify a "Gin Martini." It used to be reverse. Vodka Martini drinkers were in the minority and had to specify their liquor of choice. Now it is we, the Gin drinkers, who are ostracized. Harrumph.

(The illustration above is a pork martini, offered by Josh Karpf on his Web site. I think Josh has ably summed up the depths to which this ludicrous trend has sunk.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My son, I am quite proud of the way you have such a grasp of the subject material. It must be the result of years of experience.
Dad

Uncle Moe said...

Funny, Pop. You've always been a Scotch drinker. And, to be sure, I do enjoy a hearty brace of Dewars (not to mention single malt). But I'm still in my Gin phase -- at least for my after-work, pre-dinner cocktail. Cheers.